The Pursuit of MANHOOD

"Be happy, young man, while you are young,and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you to judgment."--Ecclesiastes 11:9 - This blog is dedicated to Adam's fervent journey into becoming a man. Or just a blog about his life and thoughts in general.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Reflections from my week in Toronto part 1

Clarification - this blog will not only cover gender-specific issues. However, it will provide a male perspective on pursuing Christ, which I would define as the Christian's pursuit of manhood.

So, had a GREEAT time in Toronto. Had to narrow down the report to three things, so the following things, though thoroughly enjoyable, did not seem to fit in the context of this blog - seeing Sebonka hop around in pain, Travy's manlove poured out on a disturbed Dan R., numerous trips to Christian bookstores (four different stores!), buying a Piper book, eating at Big Fat Burrito.

So, here are three things i feel should be mentioned on my blog, possibly in order of significance (least to greatest):

a) Defeating Maria at Scrabble - Few things feed the ego of a young man as destroying someone at a GAME. Perhaps her loss can be accounted for by the fact that she had been awake for more than 24 hours, or perhaps it was a diplomatic act that flowed out of training from four years at the prestigious Arthur Kroeger College of Public Affairs and Policy Management. Who cares, I won. And since today (Sunday) Krystle and I received what I can only guess was a crushing loss (I left early) at Trivial Pursuit - Pop Culture 2, I can use all the affirmation of my intellectual competence as I can get.

b) Music on Road Trips - On the way there I realized young women nowadays fail to appreciate the subtleties in the music of Shania Twain. "Any Man of Mine" is a great song, period. I also practiced "Never Had a Dream Come True", apparently the favourite song of my soon to be bride, whom I have yet to meet. Oh, how she will swoon at my singing (umm, maybe I will explain this another time - regardless of whether you understand the reference, you must admit that song cuts deep.. real deep..).

On the way back, I got a ride with Rice who fortunately brought his Bryan Adams compilation. "The Best of Me" is the perfect song for two heterosexual men to listen to together in the car (sample lyrics - "I may not always know what's right, but I know I want you here tonight..").

Ahh, so one thing I have decided to commit to is to be brief in these posts. As a result, I think I will stop here, especially since the next part is long.

To be continued...

4 Comments:

  • At 6:06 AM, Blogger monica said…

    Yes.... I love BPAPM... it's more like a love/hate relationship. So Matt also brought Shania Twain with him, and you guys memorized the lyrics to that song? What if your future bride hates sappy songs? Dream come True?? hahahahaaa

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, we were thoroughly PWND by Chan and Larena, although they didn't win without a fight (yes, you read me right).

    That's classy stuff. I am swooning as we speak

    -Krystle C.

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger Adam said…

    Krystle - NO!!! Chan.... that's upsetting.

    Monica - i got a ride up with Darren, it was his Shania Twain music that we were listening to.

     
  • At 1:42 PM, Blogger pri said…

    that was really mean, i hope you know. laughing at me when i was in pain. i could have easily just laid in bed, but i was nice enough to come hang out with you. and all i get in return is peter eddy's reckless driving (in spite of my sprained ankle) and your ridicule. you hurt me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home