The Pursuit of MANHOOD

"Be happy, young man, while you are young,and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you to judgment."--Ecclesiastes 11:9 - This blog is dedicated to Adam's fervent journey into becoming a man. Or just a blog about his life and thoughts in general.

Saturday, December 01, 2007

My Blog, The Expansion of Adam, and Kite Runner

a)

First, you’ll note that recently I added many links on the side. This is actually because. For security reasons, I cannot have Christian favourites on my web browser. So, this is actually my favourites page.

If your blog is there, you can know you have the honour of having your blog checked weekly by Adam. However, some of you have stopped posting, or have changed your blog address, meaning I have to do approximately 67 seconds of work. I am very upset, and will not do it until a later time.

b)

Second, I am very happy to announce that I have found stuff to do besides read and listen to stuff about theology. Therefore, I hope my blog will have more topics haha.

c)

Therefore, I want to share my thoughts on the following:

I have just finished The Kite Runner, a book that I have often seen on the Top 10 rack at Chapters next to Lonely Bones, Life of Pi, and Harry Potter. A movie’s coming out about it, and I have definitely read it too late to be culturally relevant, but I thought I’d share some thoughts on it.

The author, Khaled Hosseini, writes (or the narrator, Amir, says) “I always thought clichés got a bum rap. Because, often they’re dead-on. But the aptness of the clichéd saying is overshadowed by the nature of the saying as a cliché” (182). This is a good description of Hosseini’s storytelling. He is not afraid to use every convention in the novelist’s toolbox. Most of the characters are one-dimensional. They are usually obviously good or bad. The themes are clearly drawn out, without much need for interpretation. The use of violence, both physical and emotional, is heavy-handed. Almost everything is resolved in the narrative in a neat and tidy way. And almost every character explains her/his motives and thought processes in the dialogue so that the reader doesn’t have to guess (or think about it).

HOWEVER, Umberto Eco (no, I don’t actually know who that is, but I’ve heard this quote before and thought it insightful) said, in a discussion on the movie Casablanca, that “Two cliches make us laugh but a hundred cliches moves us because we sense dimly that the cliches are talking among themselves, celebrating a reunion”. Not that I totally understand what that means, but I get the feeling that this is also true of The Kite Runner. Hosseini somehow manages to use all the aforementioned elements in a very compelling way. His narration is manipulative, but the story is so gripping that you submit to its leading. It reminds me of the movie Crash, which, though terribly didactic, still had a force that struck me in a powerful way.

That being said, I probably won’t read The Kite Runner again, just as I felt that Crash did not deserve multiple viewings. This is especially due to the book’s main theme, Hosseini’s unfortunate celebration of self-wrought redemption (“A way to be good again”). Amir lives in a perpetual state of guilt, and the narrative turns into his quest to atone for his sins. Not surprisingly, Amir is lead to Islam in the process. This naturally appeals to a North American’s sensibilities, since the redemption of the self exalts the individual and its quest for self-realization (a favourite theme of ours).

This all only points to the difference between Christianity and the world (whether it is America or Afghanistan). The God of the Bible does not ask men to atone for their own sins. God is too righteous to allow such a thing to be possible. Instead, He imputes His perfect righteousness and satisfies His own just wrath. We are then enabled to enjoy the fullness of God, not merely the trivial quest for self. Redemption is a gift, not a reward. And it is a much greater gift than the atonement of The Kite Runner.

10 Comments:

  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger It's My DLu! said…

    i loved the kite runner actually. i enjoyed this book because of the underlying themes running throughout the course of the narrative. i think as a man, the relationship between the father and son is one of the most significant and character shaping relationships we can have and i thought that the author did a great job of exploring the tensions that exist in that relationship. desires such as wanting approval, acceptance, and affirmation from your dad run throughout the book -- even when the main character has become a father himself. it's a theme that isn't often written about (at least in the books i've read). i don't think it's the most challenging read, but i think that it touches on human desires for love and for redemption. i obviously agree with you with regarding the topic of redemption in this book -- and i think that's why this book is so heartbreaking on so many different levels.

    i think i'd read this book again. funny enough, i read that book when i was in asia too. i wonder if you're reading the copy i left there?

     
  • At 2:34 PM, Blogger It's My DLu! said…

    oh and btw, i haven't 'blogged' since april 11 2007.

    and that last post hardly even counts as a blog. it was merely a post of random sentences.

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger Adam said…

    haha, i probably did read your copy. it was just lying in our place.

    again, i liked the book, and found the father/son theme touching BUT the fact that it runs throughout the narrative speaks more to the author's lack of subtlety than to his strengths as a story-teller. but yeah, again, i still ate it up, even at its most contrived moments (and there were many).

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger pri said…

    You should give "A Thousand Splendid Suns" also by the same author - I liked it more than I liked "The Kite Runner". And I loved both books.

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is my first post I'd like to thank you for such a terrific quality forum!
    Just thought this is a nice way to introduce myself!

    Sincerely,
    Hilary Driscoll
    if you're ever bored check out my site!
    [url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/thomas-the-tank-engine-party-supplies.html]thomas the tank engine Party Supplies[/url].

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    [url=http://kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/logo.png[/img][/url]

    מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/about.html]חדרים[/url] גדולים אנו מציעים שירותי אירוח מיוחדים גם יש במקום שירות חדרים המכיל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]סעודות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מיוחדים אשר יוגשו ישירות לחדרכם.

    לפרטים אנא גשו לעמוד המלון - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]

     
  • At 5:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello. My wife and I bought our house about 6 months ago. It was a foreclosure and we were able to get a great deal on it. We also took advantage of the 8K tax credit so that definitely helped. We did an extensive remodeling job and now I want to refinance to cut the term to a 20 or 15 year loan. Does anyone know any good sites for mortgage information? Thanks!

    Mike

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Everyone,

    Just found this site and thought it might be useful to chat to people who are trying to accomplish the same as me!

    I spend too much of my life on the internet and look forward to chatting to you all and picking up and sharing ideas along the way!

    Eva

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I fully favour with framer opinion.
    [IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

Post a Comment

<< Home