The Pursuit of MANHOOD

"Be happy, young man, while you are young,and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you to judgment."--Ecclesiastes 11:9 - This blog is dedicated to Adam's fervent journey into becoming a man. Or just a blog about his life and thoughts in general.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

My New Small Group, Prayer, and "Bible Sharing"

a)

I’ve started going to a small group at my Church (well, its in a guy’s dorm, but its with my Church… you know what I mean). It’s pretty interesting. It’s almost all African guys, but the meeting is super short – one hour. That covers – singing, sharing from the Word, Prayer, and soft drinks.:

I) That’s amazing for any group of Christians
II) I’ve never been to
Africa, but from what I’ve heard, that’s amazing for Africans.

Anyways, haven’t really been able to connect with people yet, but I hope to.

b)

One thing that impressed me (besides it’s time length) was their prayer. The prayer is both quick and efficient (take requests, and pray for them one by one korean style), and exciting sounding (loud and invigorating). I really feel like I’m really making progress in prayer. It makes me believe what John Piper says about prayer that it is a “wartime walkie-talkie for the accomplishment of missions commands”

I’m definitely not a great man of prayer. This year I have really felt a desire to see growth in that department, and though I’ve seen progress, I definitely don’t think I’m anywhere near where I wanna be.

Something I think I have grown in understanding is that there are different kinds of prayer, which, when done in faith, are all pleasing to God. I’ve seen the joy in having radical battle prayers as well as the sweet fellowship of just resting in God. The latter is something I’m definitely not good at, since my tendency (especially in the organization I work for) is to be very do, do, do. To realize that God desires us to just rest in Christ’s love and reflect slowly and meditatively on His promises in a Godward way is very difficult to me.

c)

However, something I don’t like about the group is their “Bible sharing”. First, someone is picked to share something from the Word (it’s apparent that the assumption is that everyone is capable of doing this without guidance) and then the floor is opened to anyone desiring to share something. The result is very well-intentioned people reading various verses and then giving either questionable or no interpretation. This means often orthodox beliefs and encouragements are shared, but with no ground in truth.

The result for me isn’t just that it doesn’t get my intellect going. The problem is that my heart isn’t very moved either. I really believe God is experienced as we see Him, His character, His actions, and His promises in His inspired Word. Without the Word permeating our testimonies and encouragements, I fear people will come and not experience the Living God but instead have interesting thoughts and feelings about a vague combination of nice attributes that cannot Save nor give life to the soul.

Speaking of this topic, here is something I think can be really helpful if you understand it.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home