The Pursuit of MANHOOD

"Be happy, young man, while you are young,and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you to judgment."--Ecclesiastes 11:9 - This blog is dedicated to Adam's fervent journey into becoming a man. Or just a blog about his life and thoughts in general.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

evangelism + recent things

a. evangelism
during university, a problem (and blessing) i had was that my life was consumed in Christian fellowship to the point where i had very few if any close non-Christian friends. i only knew two people at my graduation ceremony (though that was partly because i was in a combined major, so i didn't graduate with the same people as in my classes), and one of them was from c4c (kinda).

there were always the discussions about this in our c4c circles. they'd go like this:

A - We need to train our people to do workplace and relational evangelism! That's not gonna happen at the cafeteria with two copies of the four laws!
B - But if our people can't even do evangelism in controlled settings like the cafe, how are we going to get them to do it naturally in their own lives?
15 min later - discussion ends, nothing changes.

I've heard of different c4c campuses that are trying things to actually address this problem, which is commendable. But end result is that I do feel more equipped to do evangelism in controlled settings instead of naturally through relationships.

However, what has surprisingly happened is that I am now surrounded by non-Christians five days a week, 9 hours a day. And it has been a blessing/problem. The blessing is that I have actually made friends and enjoy their company and conversation. I have been put by God in a place where I can be light and salt. The downside is that I must confess it has been a dim light and a timid salt. I don't cuss or get drunk or joke about sex, but I have not really displayed patience and love and grace in ways that point to the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit.

Back at C-ton, our first-years would always say "I don't feel ready for evangelism, I don't feel like I'm a good enough Christian to preach the Gospel" and I feel that even now. I fear how easily they will see the hypocrisy in my sarcastic tone, my psuedo-gossipping, and my lack of punctuality as I proclaim the Lordship of a Loving God in my life.

Yet, as I pray that the Holy Spirit would change me, I am thankful that the message I preach is not a message of works, but of Grace.

Easter's coming up. Please pray that I'd use it to proclaim this message of Grace.

"Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners." - Mark 2:17

b. recent things
1. Our young adults group had a speedfriending session last night (before the hockey game) (it was like speed dating, but minus the dating). May have been the best YA social that I've been to, though it was difficult to talk for that long. Props to the author of f-words for her initiative.
2. phonesaber app on iPhone almost makes me want an iPhone. it also has music in the background
3. Watched Kiss of the Dragon this week. Things to know about Jet Li regarding this movie:
i. Jet Li isn't as bland and uninteresting in his Hong Kong movies.
ii. His Hong Kong chereography team worked on this movie, so the fighting was good.
iii. This movie is very enjoyable if ii. is the reason you watch it.
4. You might not find this funny, and may have heard of it but....
note: try ordering it.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home