The Pursuit of MANHOOD

"Be happy, young man, while you are young,and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you to judgment."--Ecclesiastes 11:9 - This blog is dedicated to Adam's fervent journey into becoming a man. Or just a blog about his life and thoughts in general.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Myths of Manhood #3 - It doesn't matter what they think of you.

It's funny - back in high school I bore an elephant-sized burden that plagued me everyday - I really wanted people to like me: Do they think I'm funny? Do they think I'm a jerk? Do they think I'm a loser? Clothes, music, friends - once things that were sooo important - High school is HARD TIMES.

Back then, I wondered if I'd look back and think high school was the best time of my life - Thank God it wasn't.

Anyways - I'm now in University - and Jesus has come and lifted this burden off of me. Not that I'm completely free from insecurities, but my life has been injected with a buttload of relief. What everyone used to say is a reality- Image isn't everything!

But reputation isn't nothing (or, it is something). The Bible says it matters what people think about you! Jesus says ""Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 5:16). In other words, people need to see me be a Christian. One of the qualifications for an elder is that they "have a good reputation with those outside the church" (1 Tim 3:7) So, it really matters what people think of you. Man! What a problem! I actually need to work at gaining the trust and respect of others.

Today, I'm involved with a Christian club on Campus. And I am a "leader" - i have a three-letter-acronym title and everything. I often wonder: do people think I'm a phoney?

Well, it would be easy to say - "Do as I say not as I do" or "Only God can judge me"- but then I'd be full of crap. The world is full to the brim with leaders like that - we need some that are willing to say "I am willing to be put to a higher standard! I might (and will) fail, but by faith in God's Grace - I wanna be a man worth following!"

Well - this year I expect people will think I'm full of crap - or I'm irresponsible - or I'm unintelligent, or I'm a phoney - but for their sake, and God's glory, I must try harder, love harder, and serve harder - I must lead. Hard decisions and failures are bound to come, but how I wish people would see Christ in me!

4 Comments:

  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger deb said…

    hey adam. just checked out your blog. I like your latest few entries about myths. good stuff. good thoughts.

    die to self that you might live for Christ.

    add oil.

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger His Creation said…

    Add oil Deb?
    -Bide or Bedi or Bade or something, i.e. Pete

     
  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger It's My DLu! said…

    jai you.

    and i think it's "bei de"

    just a guess. heh.

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Becsta said…

    adam, i know that God is definitely working in you. and your manliness is astounding.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home