The Pursuit of MANHOOD

"Be happy, young man, while you are young,and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you to judgment."--Ecclesiastes 11:9 - This blog is dedicated to Adam's fervent journey into becoming a man. Or just a blog about his life and thoughts in general.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Support, My Current Problems, and Toronto


a) Well, just for Monica’s sake, why don’t I begin with a book recommendation:
I’m support-raising, and it's hard. But Funding Your Ministry by Scott Morton is very encouraging and helps me to at least feel like I’m not alone and that what I’m doing is important. Plus, it has pictures – very helpful given my reading level. Its very readable, perhaps if you’re thinking about staff or just wanna know what its like for missionaries or cru staff, check it out.


b) Like I said, support has been hard. Its cause I’m really low on motivation. And, to be honest, with a lot of people away, its left a big social gap. I should probably start spending time with other friends, but I’m not so good at that. Keep in mind that its been two days. I will probably have less issues in a week from now (or way more).

c) Well, that’s my "sharing my deepest feelings" part of this entry. Now I will share my top three moments from my trip to Tdot: (in chronological order) (actually, they are more like 3 inappropriate moments, and they aren’t even really my favourite ones, but whatever)

1. Peddy, using all the smoothness he could muster, asks Pri: "Do you touch me?"
Note: He actually said "meat". But it was hilarious that the first topic of conversation brought up in front of Pri was her vegetarianism. I think Peddy has made it his goal in life to ridicule vegetarianism as much as possible.

2. As we approached Tim Hortons, we saw these cadet kids holding the door open and asking for donations. A friend of mine remarked, "I HATE those kids. They always make me feel bad."
Note: It is true. I don’t even know what they were collecting money for. But it couldn’t have been that important if they must stoop to similar business tactics as squeegee kids rather than, in a professional manner, presenting their cause to potential donors.

3. There were many racist (as in Travis was offended. !!!!) comments made at Tim Hortons.
Note: the majority of us were minorities, if that makes a difference.

---
Expect more frequent updates from now on.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If the majority of you were minorities, was the one who wasn't a minority really a majority?

     
  • At 9:27 PM, Blogger Adam said…

    Dear Anonymous,

    Thanks for your question. I am not sure if you could classify the non-minority individual as a majority, but the term minority, in my context, specifically meant, as the US Department of Education defines it, "Any individual or racial/ethnic group that is not categorized as White, not Hispanic or Latino". Therefore, the white guy was not a minority, despite being the only representative of his race at our small gathering.

    Furthermore, that group of people did not represent the larger racial composition of Canada. Therefore, even if I was using minority in the sense of "being or relating to the smaller in number of two parts", the minorities would still be minorities when considered in the totality of Canada.

    I hope that has clarified things and that you will not be confused when the term "minority" is used in the future.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home